Awesome !! Mouth Watering Chicken Curry made at home during unlock 02.July 14, 2020
With so many varied kinds of non-vegetarian dishes, one is sure to be bowled over with lip-smacking flavours of chicken gravy.
This simple Indian chicken curry is made using bone-in chicken lends the meat a richer, gamey flavor that’s in keeping with how this dish was traditionally made, using free-roaming birds. A heavy hand with spices, including turmeric, coriander, cumin, and cinnamon, plus plenty of red chillies, leaves this dish intensely flavorful and fiery. Serve it over white rice or wheat roti or bhakris (a type of unleavened rice bread) to soak up all the sauce.
For the Chicken Marination:
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tablespoons red chilli powder
- 1 pound (450g) bone-in chicken, cut into medium pieces
For the Spice Paste:
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 6 dry Kashmiri chillies
- 5 peppercorns
- 1/2-inch stick cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated coconut
- 1 cup (240ml) water
For the Chicken Curry:
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) vegetable oil
- 3 slit green chillies
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- Coriander leaves
- Fluffy white rice, for serving
- To Marinate the Chicken: Mix ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, salt, and 1 tablespoon of the red chili powder. Apply to chicken and set aside while you prepare the spice paste and curry.
- For the Spice Paste: Heat a cast iron skillet until smoking, then turn the heat down. Toast sesame seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, Kashmiri chilies, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, and cloves until they release their aroma, about 15 seconds, stirring constantly so they don’t burn. Set aside to cool.
- Once toasted spices have cooled, using an immersion blender or countertop blender, blend spices with coconut and 3 tablespoons (45ml) water until a smooth paste has formed. Set aside.
- For the Curry: In a heavy-bottomed, lidded saucepan, heat oil until shimmering, then turn the heat down. Add green chilies and bay leaves. Stir until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add onion & tomatoes and keep stirring until soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add spice paste and keep stirring until fragrant and until oil floats on top, about 10 minutes. Add marinated chicken pieces and stir until coated in the spice mix, about 5 minutes. Add remaining water to thin out the mixture for more gravy.
- Season with salt, stir once, and cover pot. Turn heat to medium. Cook for about 15 minutes or until chicken is tender. Open lid, stir, garnish it with chopped coriander leaves. and serve hot with fluffy white rice or wheat roti or bhakri.