How to make a Effective Face Mask at home during the COVID-19 pandemicJuly 15, 2020
What are the Materials required to make the face mask?
- 2 pieces of tight-weave cotton fabric, 9 x 6 inches (per mask)
- 4 strips of fabric, 2 x 16 inches (per mask)
- Sewing machine OR needle and thread
- Pencil or marker
- A handful of sewing pins
How to Start Making your face mask?
1. Cut your fabric into two 9 x 6-inch rectangles. Place them on top of each other.
2. On the top of 9-inch side, pin or mark a 2-inch opening in the center of the top edge of the 9-inch side, between the 3.5- and 5.5-inch points, along the top edge. Then, sew the edges on either side of where you pinned or marked the opening. You’ll need that 2-inch opening to turn the mask right side out.
3. Sew the other three sides of the mask shut, too.
4. Turn the mask right side out through the 2-inch opening you left on the top. Then, press the mask with an iron to get rid of wrinkles.
5. Line your ruler up vertically along the 6-inch side of the mask. Starting at the 1.5-inch line, pin where you’ll sew your pleats down the side. These pleats help the mask stretch. Pin again at the 2-, 3-, 3.5-, 4.5- and 5-inch lines.
6. Bring the pin at the 1.5-inch line down to the 2-inch line, and voila, you’ve made a pleat! Repeat with the 3-inch to the 3.5-inch and the 4.5-inch to the 5-inch line. Pin your new pleats, and repeat on the other side.
7. Sew the sides of your mask up so the pleats are laid flat.
How to make face mask ties?
1. Cut four strips of fabric, 2 inches wide by 16 inches long.
2. Fold them in half lengthwise.
3. Turn them under 1/4-inch on the long side.
4. Iron them in place, then stitch the long side shut.
5. Pin each tie to a corner of the mask.
6. Sew around the perimeter of the mask one more time so that the ties are attached — and now you’ve completed your face mask. Please wear during this COIVD-19 pandemic.
How did you like the tutorial? Tell us in the comment section below. Also, don’t forget to share with your friends and followers. Stay Safe Stay Home.